Sunday, January 22, 2012

It's the Little Things

I can't believe Dominic is almost 11 weeks old!  He is getting so big and doing more everyday.  But, I often have to remind myself he is only 3 1/2 weeks adjusted.  I don't know if other preemie moms have a hard time with this, but sometimes it is frustrating and nerveracking to have a baby that is one age, but developmentally you know is another.  While I know I shouldn't expect more of him than you would expect of a 3.5 week old, it's tough, because he has been in our lives 3 times that long!  I am so anxious for the coos, the regular smiles, the interaction.  But, we're not quite there yet.  However, I think waiting longer makes those little milestones that much sweeter.  D is staying awake for hours at a time now.  It is wonderful watching his big eyes just look around and take it all in.  He is starting to grab at things and hold onto them (hair, necklaces and the like), he gives us smiles here and there.  I know I have to be patient with him, but sometimes it's hard.

We got some good news this week.  D had been approved by insurance for 3 Synagis shots (to help combat RSV) and he got his first one in December.  That one was paid for because we had met our deductible.  But, our high-deductible plan started over on January 1st so the $2,400 (each!) shots would be 100% out of pocket.  Needless to say, we cannot afford that.  I was feeling down about it and talking to the nurse about how we weren't going to be able to get it.  She suggested I fill out this form requesting assistance from the manufacturer.  I didn't hold out much hope, but it was a short form, so I figured what the heck.  Well, I got a call this week from the nurse and we were approved and will have to pay $0 out of pocket!!  This was the best news!  I am so happy the nurse suggested it and pushed me to fill out the form.  It made me feel terrible to not be able to give D something that could help him stay healthy and now I don't have to worry about it!

Another big development is the move to the crib is complete.  Tuesday D spent his first night in the crib.  He did just fine and I fell asleep watching him sleep on our video monitor.  He's not really any closer to sleeping through the night, but I think the sleep we both get is better because we aren't disturbing each other throughout the night.

D gets the rest of his 2 month vaccines on Thursday so he will get weighed again.  I am anxious to see how big my little chunk is then!


Bath time

So fresh and so clean

Ready to go out to dinner

My whole world on one couch <3

No comments:

Post a Comment