Sunday, February 12, 2012

All is Well...

But it didn't feel that way earlier in the week.  Last weekend we noticed a lump on the back of D's head.  I was really thinking it was just a swollen lymph node, so I didn't panic.  I took him to the doctor and she told me it was NOT a lymph node and she wasn't sure what it was.  So, she sent us down the street to the hospital for an ultrasound.  The looked at his brain and the lump.  Unfortunately, we didn't get any answers from the ultrasound and he was scheduled for an MRI at another hospital on Thursday.  The doctor told us we would then have an appointment at Riley sometime after the MRI.  There is just something about being told you have to take your kid to Riley that just scares you.  While the MRI itself was painless, getting his IV was horrible.  It took 4 tries and 3 nurses.  D was screaming and I was sobbing.  I just hated that my little man had to be back in the hospital and was in pain  Luckily, the lump was diagnosed as a heamngioma, which is a benign mass of tissue and blood vessels that will eventually go away.  We likely won't have to have it removed, but our appointment at Riley will serve to hopefully confirm that.  We have joked that D is really trying hard to be an only child by putting us through all of these scares!
We did find out that he is up to 12 lbs and measures 23 inches.  It's hard to believe just 3 short months ago he was only 4 lbs, 16.5 inches and living in an isolet.  Now, he is a growing baby who brings tears to my eyes everytime he smiles.  And, yesterday he giggled for the first time.  It was the most beautiful sound I have ever heard!  Also, he slept through the night last night!  11:30pm - 8am.  I shot awake at 6:22 when I realized he hadn't woken up yet.  I checked on him and laid back down.  I couldn't really go back to sleep myself because I kept expecting him to wake up.  I'm not getting my hopes up, but I am hoping this trend continues!


No comments:

Post a Comment